Delicious Chicken Burger Recipe
You can’t beat a good burger, however it’s easy to be disappointed by a store bought burger- they’re often huge making you feel sick after eating them, too greasy or not quite the right fillings. Burgers are a quick and easy meal to whip up to make you feel like you’re having takeaways.
Beef burgers are a classic but for this recipe I thought I’d mix it up a little bit and try using chicken mince (or you can always mince your own using chicken thighs) whilst trying to see if I could get some extra veges into the patties. If you’re needing gluten free be sure to use gluten free breadcrumbs and flour.
There are heaps of different ways to serve these, go for a classic ciabatta bun, pop it between some slices of sourdough (here’s looking to everyone that got their starters sorted over lockdown), gluten free buns or if you’re looking for a lower carb option try it between Portobello mushrooms or lettuce leaves. Serve it with fries if you want the classic burger and fries or have it on its own.
Makes 8 patties.
- 500g chicken mince
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped herbs (e.g. thyme, parsley, rosemary)
- 1 courgette, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup flour
- Salt and pepper to season
- Oil for cooking (e.g. canola, rice bran, grape seed etc.)
- Burger buns (or alternative)
- Burger fillings (e.g. lettuce, grated carrot, capsicum, cucumber, tomato, beetroot, gherkin, cheese etc.)
- Mayonnaise, aioli and/ or sauce (e.g. BBQ, apricot, chutney, relish, plum)
- Combine all of the pattie ingredients (except for the oil) in a large bowl and mix together. If the mixture is looking wet, add some extra flour.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into patties.
- If the patties are feeling sticky, dust with some flour before cooking.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook until they are golden brown and cooked through. Turn during cooking.
- If using buns, toast in the oven on 180° for a few minutes. If having cheese on your bun you can add to the top of the bun and melt this while it’s toasting.
- Serve with your choice of bun (or alternative) and fill with your favourite salad ingredients and mayonnaise/ aioli and/ or sauce.
For an extra fun 'takeaways' night, you could grab a picnic blanket and sit there together for quality time with your crew! ❤️